Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Walking Through Custard

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Walking Through Custard

Oh my!  I have spent the last three weeks, using up every available moment of my time, studying my geometry and number theory courses.  I hadn't realized just how much new stuff there is to learn; and not only learn, but manipulate and mould, into something that can be used in my TMA questions.

It has sunk in that number theory, is really, really hard.  I mean, not just hard, but insanely hard.  I'll try and explain a little.  I am currently staring at my TMA sheet, in which it has taken me 20hrs, to answer 3.5 questions out of 10.  I have looked at two of the questions and not only can I not work out an answer for them; I can't even recognize which bit of the course, they are supposed to be testing.

This isn't just some changing of symbols used, that is throwing me;  this is a case of me tackling this stuff without a full and comprehensive background in mathematics, at A level and 1st year university level maths.  These questions are calling on stock pieces of mathematical knowledge, that I am shaky on, combined with high level abstraction.

All I have been able to do, is work, work and work some more.  I have kept an accurate note of my time spent studying this month; and I am about on track with my studies and TMA work; but it has taken me an average of 30hrs per week, to get there.

And the worrying thing is, I still feel like I don't really know the material all that well.

All I can do is maintain this level of study for the entire course; and I won't give up.  I can't really say more than that, at this point.

This is the hardest that I have ever worked, in my life;  and I am going to make it count for something.

2 comments:

  1. Yah well you just have to KBO as I've said before hopefully it will click
    I think part of the problem is that even level 2 courses such as M208 in their assessment didn't really teach us to think out of the box most of the questions were routine extensions of examples in the course units.
    With level 3 it's a whole new ball game most of the questions really do require some thought.

    Also I do think it a bit odd that they put computability ahead of logic. as computablity is probably the hardest part of the course. Whereas I think logic will be a little more straightforward says he fingers crossed.

    Anyway KBO best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the number theory course is very hard going but it isn't because you don't have the required background, so don't knock yourself there. The trouble is that in previous years we are used to being shown how to solve things before being asked to solve similar problems. The hard part about these number theory questions is that we are being asked to make a certain leap into the dark and intuitively use the course material as a guide. The questions do relate to the units but not in an obvious way. So you just have to keep thinking about them and scanning the text until you get an idea of how to start.

    Don't worry, I am also putting in similar hours to you and it is a real struggle. I think it will get easier as you get into it.

    ReplyDelete