Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Where Are We Now?

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Where Are We Now?

Okay, I haven't been able to blog recently.

In fact, I haven't been able to do much, other than lay on my back following spinal surgery at the end of May.  One blood clot later, I am morphine soaked, immobile and miserable.  Walking with a crutch is not much fun.

As far as M208 is concerned; for the first two weeks of June, I was unable to do anything, as the medication prevented me from even being able to read a newspaper.  However, nil desperandum.  I did have, what turned out to be a very good exercise in disaster management.  Following difficulties in the prior eight weeks with a bereavement, I was on the back foot but had managed to keep up with studying and my TMA's.

I forgot to mention, that I scored 85% for TMA03, last month; a distinction grade, but well away from what I had scored in the previous two, TMA's.  The marks were dropped because, due to time constraints, I literally had to use my draft paper, as my actual final submission; so I did not have the chance to review my work, which is what I usually like to do.

So, fast-forward to early June, I put a call through to my tutor, who was very helpful on this matter.  He spent twenty minutes, discussing some mathematical points of order, and then he allowed me to have a two week extension on the submission date for TMA04, should it be needed.

Well, I have managed to reduce my medication sufficiently, to allow me to do some studying in the last ten days.  I have read the first three analysis units and completed three quarters of TMA04.  As it stands, today, I am one third of the way through the fourth unit book of analysis and due to start the TMA questions for this unit, on Friday.

All told, I think I should be able to submit my TMA, only 3 days over the published submission date, in time for starting the Group Theory B, sections.

I am becoming a little anxious about the exam, already.  It is due in the second week of October, and I had planned to do some revision on Linear Algebra and Group Theory over the last eight weeks, but it just didn't happen.

But, If I can come out of this last three months with a Grade Two pass for the course, then I will be happy, such has been the 'disaster' of ill health and outside influences.

It is truly turning out to be my annus horribilis.

3 comments:

  1. Hm must be some sort of curse on OU maths bloggers :) life hasn't been going all that well for Keith either.

    Seriously I admire you both for persisting in the face of the all trials and tribulations you've both been having.

    I wouldn't worry to much about the final grade at this stage. You will just put yourself under more pressure.

    Just KBO as Winston Churchill said or Keep Swimming as Nemo was told to do.

    Hope things improve for both you and Keith

    I'll try and send you something to cheer you up this weekend

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless things have changed from when I did it, the exam seems less involved than some of the TMA questions.
    If you can get to the end of the assignments with an 85% overall, my money would be firmly on you to manage a distinction in the exam, too.

    By the end of the second group theory and analysis blocks, everything from both "disciplines" will be so embedded that it will really only be the linear algebra you (might) need to go back to.

    Sorry to hear about your troubles but glad to hear you're on the mend.
    I have also spent a lot more time than I wanted to in and out of hospital just recently.

    Get yourself well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are going through the mill. Hope things get better soon.
    Don't worry about the exam too much, you're going to need a different skillset there; everyone who does well did lots of practice papers. Concentrate on getting the TMAs out of the way first.
    arb
    neil

    ReplyDelete