Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics prep-material obtained: MST209 and S207

Thursday 29 March 2012

Physics prep-material obtained: MST209 and S207

Okay, quick post.

I have now obtained hard-copies of several units from the Open University courses MST209 Mathematical Methods and Modelling, and S207 The Physical World; which I believe will top up my M208 Pure Mathematics, MST121 Using Mathematics and M337 Complex Analysis studies; to allow me to launch into SMT359 Electromagnetism, and other applied mathematical physics courses, as the next 2 years unfold.

The units that I will be studying between October 2012 and Feb 2012, are:

First-Order Differential Equations (MST209)

Second-Order Differential Equations (MST209)

Partial Differential Equations (MST209)

Fourier Series (MST209)

Scalar and Vector Fields (MST209)

Vector Calculus (MST209)

Fields that Vary with Time (S207)

Waves and Electromagnetic Radiation (S207)

Static Fields and Potentials (S207)



I am struggling to get hold of MST209 Unit 25, Multiple Integrals; so if anyone knows where I can find a hard-copy or PDF, then please let me know.  Likewise, if anyone thinks I am missing any important content out, then please let me know, so I can add it to my list of self-study items.

This studying should all fit in nicely between M337 and SMT359, as long as Christmas doesn't interfere!

4 comments:

  1. All of MST209 is relevant ;) However the key ones you are missing are

    Oscillations (Unit 7)

    Systems of Differential equations (Unit 11)
    (Where you will find a really good application of the linear algebra that you are studying in M208)

    Functions of several variables (Unit 12 )

    Damping forcing and resonance
    Normal Modes (Unit 18) Fundamental to most of physics

    And as one of the key applications of mathematics to physics you should learn how Newton applied calculus to prove that planets moved in ellipses the last block Unit 28 but you will need Unit 27 on angular momentum as well. Angular momentum also plays a large part in quantum mechanics.

    As for 2013 how many courses do you have left after quantum mechanics, if only 1 I would suggest MST326 Fluid mechanics as it combines both physics and develops mathematical methods that are useful

    If two then the obvoius one is the Relativistic Universe which will introduce you to relativity and General Relativity. You can download a book which gives you the necessary background from the course web site. Either way it is definitely worth investing the first volume of the course.

    You can buy individual modules here

    http://www.ouw.co.uk/store/catalog/MST209-Mathematical-Methods-and-Models,781.aspx

    Or failing that keep an eye out for Open University book search.

    http://www.universitybooksearch.co.uk/

    Where they often have complete courses at reasonable prices.


    I think you have made a wise decision (albeit it being forced on you) to expand away from pure maths. By doing M208 and M337 you will have done more Pure maths than most physicists will have done which should stand in you good stead for your chosen career

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris. I am planning to study the rest of MST209, that is not listed above, between June 2013 and Oct 2013; that is, between Complex Analysis finishing, and My next level 3 course starting, in October 2013.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan

    Could you let me know whether you have a copy of the S207 study materials? It's my next course. :O Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the big delay in replying, Adam. I only have three of the books for S207, which I am probably planning to keep as they are quite interesting and make for good Sunday afternoon reading, in front of the fire. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete