Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: On Your Marks... Get Set...

Thursday 12 September 2013

On Your Marks... Get Set...

After a lovely summer break which included a month off work and a trip to France and then Barcelona; the kids are back at school (my sanity is returning), and I am now sitting by the front door mat, like an expectant dog, waiting to chew the hand of the post man, as he delivers my fresh, new, Open University course materials, for this year.

The last time I blogged, I mentioned some of the prep that I would do over the summer, including some of M337, in preparation for next year.  I didn't manage to do that, as I made a decision to start giving myself a 'proper' break between periods of study, so that I can maintain a higher level of intensity, when the courses begins.

For the last few years, I have studied pretty-well none stop, in some form or another, which while admirable in keeping up a study habit, has probably harmed some of final TMA marks, as I find my attention waning, after non stop studying for 24+ months.

After my summer break, I have picked up my French and Spanish Assimil language courses, that I did a few years back; and I have resolved to spend an hour a day (in my work lunch break and during my commute), to listening to these audio tracks, with a hope of reaching a better level of conversational proficiency, in the next few years.

I had found previously, when I took my OU Art History module's in 2004-2005, that doing a short period of language study (at that time French with the O.U course L192) each day, somehow made it feel easier to learn the Art History from all of those dusty old books.  I don't know the reasons for this.  Whether it was just some novelty and a different part of the brain being exercised (auditory and language centres), I will never know.  I will report back as to whether I perceive any difference in my Maths study, as I listen to a small bit of languages, alongside my formal studies, this year.

Anyway, I am booked onto Number Theory and Logic, along with Groups and Geometry.  I've read Duncan's posts on these topics, and it all sounds very interesting.  I just hope that it isn't too stressful.  I've almost forgotten how many times, I sat up until 2am, during 12hr marathons to get my TMA's completed for M208.  Only now, I have two courses to contend with.

Exciting stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Some of my M381 materials arrived this afternoon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a break I must admit I feel I could do with one as well

    However the last chance to study Godel's theorem is just to good to miss I'm also interested in logic and computability as well

    However can't say that I'm that fussed about number theory maybe I'll change my mind who knows

    Anyway it'll be good to study the same course together

    I'm busy revising for my quantum mechanics exam I must admit I do think the amount of assessments one has to do for 30 point physics modules is a bit excessive to say the least I'm still trying to finish the last off before I look at past papers

    Anyway good to see you back

    All the best Chris

    ReplyDelete