Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Monday 1 August 2011

Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

We are now approaching the end of MST121 2011.  I have completed the final coursework CMA41 and I have 3/4 completed the CMA51, the first part of the EMA (end of course assignment).  Following that, there is just a few hours to spend on the TMA04, and then it is done.

Total time spent studying this week:  20hrs.

MST121
Completion of CMA41
Questions 1 - 20 of CMA51

Other maths problem practise
Simplifying polynomials
Simultaneous equations in three and four variables

Audio Books
Surely you're joking Mr Feynman

Maths Books
A first Course in Analysis -  Brannan Chapter 1 review
Calculus 3rd Edition - Spivak Chapter 1
Godel's Proof - Nagel.

The teaching Company Lectures: Mastering Differential Equations
How computers solve differential Equations

Rubik's Cube
Best completion time: 20 mins


I have also bought a couple of Moleskine note books, that I intend to carry with me and start 'doing' mathematics, at odd moments during the day, as the mood takes me.  I intend to record some key themes, in the front and then conduct some problem solving in the rear.

I am off to Oxford next week, for a day on the river and for a walk around the Colleges.  I may even take my notebook with me and sit in a cafe pondering some maths.  Nothing like getting in the mood!

4 comments:

  1. Another productive week well done I love sitting in bars and cafes doing maths I usually pick something doable eg to see if I can solve a cubic
    Sometimes it gets people talking. The more people who start doing this sort of thing the less Maths will be seen as a 'strange activity'

    On another note even if you don't feel like joining in in the Cambridge Activities you would be welcome as a 'Lurker' So far recruitment is up to 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing last night having picked up a book on numerical analysis and Topology I went for a few pints to have a look at the books. Whilst I was quietly drinking my pints a person came up and asked me what Topology was. So I gave the usual explanation about how you could distinguish between a Cake and a ring donought and also how
    a ring donought can be seen the same as a tea cup. They found it fascinating

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find talking about maths to other people, helps me remember it. A nice side-effect.

    Chris,

    Just out of interest, are you doing the last presentation of Topology, in Jan 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'm definitely doing Topology and Group Theory I'm contemplating doing MS324 waves diffusion and variational principles as well, but If I do do it it will mean my other projects will suffer so I'm in two minds about it

    ReplyDelete