Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Sunday 28 August 2011

Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Well, a relatively quiet week, as I have only just got back from holiday; but I have started back in earnest, to finalise MST121 and await the results in December.

I also understand that my S197 How the Universe Works, course results are due around mid September.  If I pass, I will have then picked up a certificate of Higher Education, as we enter the Autumn.

As I have started to tuck into TMA04, the last piece of coursework for MST121 (Using Mathematics), with the Open University.  In doing so,  I have realised that even though TMA04 repeats all of the sections covered on earlier TMA's, this repetition has greatly enhanced and cemented, my understanding of the course material.    This surprised me somewhat, as I just thought that the course writers were being a little pedantic in going over it all again, in an attempt to fill out the module assessment strategy, in light of there being no final exam.

But I'm converted.  It has been a pain to go back to all the earlier topics from previous TMA's, but it has made a real difference in my confidence and facility in using the concepts and techniques - even the f*****g Geese counting.

Anyway, here is this week's completed study:

MST121


TMA04 - completed final draft of Question 1

Other Maths skills
Square roots and arithmetic with them.
Quadratics and factorisation

Other Maths reading
How to Prove It.  Velleman, Cambridge (A brilliant book to self-study maths logic and how to understand, copy and write your own proofs.  Lots of practise, broken down into steps.  I would 100% recommend this book to anyone who is likely to meet logic and proofs, as part of their studies.  It is without doubt, the best book that I have read this year).

Total study time: 16hrs




1 comment:

  1. It's always good to go back over stuff this usually happens when revising for exams which is just about to start. When you first do a practice paper under exam conditions then you usually end up with quite a bad mark usually between 50 - 60 % But then magically as you practice more it gets better. I think it takes about 5 or 6 goes so it's about 1 per week per course.

    I seem to remember the calculus question for TMA04 for MST121 being quite tricky and this is from someone who feels he has calculus in his blood

    Anyway good luck at least you'll be able to concentrate on other mathematics for a while until Feb

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete