Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Study Methods (Mathematics)

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Study Methods (Mathematics)

Alrighty,

This past week or so, I have been testing out some different approaches to studying mathematics.  I hope to find a groove that I can develop and then duplicate for future mathematics courses over the next 3 years.  I have tried a couple of minor tweaks, whilst I have been studying Brannan's Analysis.  Some examples are below:

Test 1 (4 days of study time)
Chapter 1,  p.1- 29
2 x skim read (to gain overall structure of chapter)
2 x detailed read, no examples attempted (to become used to new terminology and start to embed the flow of the subject material)
1 x recording on dictaphone, all rules, theorems and definitions.
1 x playback of recording
Selected 1 x example for each type of new problem introduced.
Attempting selected problems (6 in total), repeated each day, at the start of a study session.
1 x video lecture on topic (Notts University Analysis series on U tube)


Test 2 (4 days of study time)
GTA1 Symmetry M208 (Pure Mathematics)


2 x skim read
1 x detailed read, with highlighter pen, in hand
4 x detailed read of highlighted text only
Selection of 1x examples for each different type of problem
Attempting selected problems (12 in total), repeated each day, periodically throughout the day



I haven't done a scientific test of which aspects of these two test periods is the most effective.  I have simply gone on feel.  I want to develop a personal set of tactics that fit my current lifestyle and work / life balance; whilst maximising the amount of information retention.

The early results are thus:

Recording and playing back a dicta-phone, didn't really work for me.  I will probably ditch that.

The skim read was good and stopped me getting bogged down with examples, whilst giving me an overall picture of the chapter.

The detailed read was good, but it was difficult to stop my self getting tied up with examples.  That discipline will come though with practise.

Selecting one example for each area was a good idea.  It allowed me to repeat each one, eventually from memory.  This will help with later exams, allowing me to memorize problem structures, rather than relying on an annotated handbook, which will save time on the day.

The Notts University year 2 Analysis lectures, are a real find.  They are clear, concise and presented by a lecturer who is clearly a very good teacher, rather than just an academic who is begrudgingly forced to teach undergraduates.  No clouds of chalk dust here.

I have also started to experiment with some new software that I am trialling.  It is called MindGenius and is some very advanced and intuitive mind-mapping software.  It allows for rapid creation of mind-maps of study chapters, almost as quick as you can type.  As a dyslexic, I have needed to study using mind-maps, for years, as they suit my non linear way of thinking and aid my memory recall.

I will report more on MindGenius next week.
ps: I've put the link here for ease of finding it, I don't earn any money from it.

Other maths studied this week
Factor theorem
Remainder theorem
Graphing quadratics
Proof of identities


Total time spent: 36hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment