Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: More on Dyslexia and Mathematics

Wednesday 23 November 2011

More on Dyslexia and Mathematics

I thought I would drop in another quick post about dyslexia and how it affects the assimilation of knowledge, and in this case, mathematics.  I have been researching the most up to date theories on the causes of dyslexia and how it affects learners.

One thing that I have known for a long time, being dyslexic myself, is that there are significant advantages to being dyslexic when carrying out certain tasks or roles.

For example, I find that I am able to work on manipulating 3D abstract objects, in my head; rotating them this way and that.  However, with  linear objects such as 2D graphs or some areas of algebra, I find no such advantage.

The ability to work in 3D can have nice advantages when doing certain elements of group theory and are wonderful when it comes to geometry in 3+ dimensions.  It has also helped the visualisation of the complex plane, when handling 'i', and its 'real' friends.

As part of my research, I have discovered that the latest neuroscience surrounding the root causes of dyslexia, gravitate towards the theory that a primary cause is found in the theories surrounding left and right brained thinking models.

I'll explain.  As children, we used our right-brain more than the left, to begin with.  The right brain area deals more in whole pictures and broad themes, able to get the gist of a subject or concept, but not with much detail.  The left brain, is where the detail is processed and the more linear and analytical side of ones approach to a task or subject, is generated.

As children become adults, the use of the brain hemispheres starts to even up and although most people will end up slightly biased towards either big picture / creative thinking or towards detailed analytical thought; most people will generally have a bit of both.

However, with most dyslexics, the brain doesn't seem to make the transition from right brained to left, all that well as they move towards adolesence.  This means that for a dyslexic, they can cope with the big picture and sometimes see connections where others do not.  They can handle tasks better in 3D, but will perhaps struggle with linear and fine detail tasks and working memory.

So where does maths fit into all of this?  Well, if a dyslexic was to play to their strengths when learning maths, they would firstly aim to learn the broad themes and structures of a unit or topic, then followed by work on the detailed mathematics underneath.  By working in this order, it allows a dyslexic to 'hang' all the detail from the broad branches that have been learned first, and provide structure to aid the retention of detail.

So is it impossible for a dyslexic to learn the finer details of maths sufficiently?  Well, no.  However, it takes a huge amount of effort to rote learn any mathematical facts, proofs or theorems, unless they can be pictured as part of the subject as a whole.

How does one do this?  Well, I am using mind mapping software to lay out the subject, unit by unit, into a large and explorable mind-map.  This is then followed by diligent study of the detail and exercises.  I don't know if such a system of learning would suit a non-dyslexic and I know that there are some of my non-dyslexic peers who prefer to work in algebraic terms rather than geometric pictures or models.

I guess we are all different but I see my dyslexia as an advantage.  I wouldn't quite go as far as one of my dyslexic friends, who described all non-dyslexics as 'Muggles'; but I think I understand where he is coming from, and perhaps for some types of maths, dyslexia is a gift rather than a hindrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment