Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: MST121, Passed!

Wednesday 30 November 2011

MST121, Passed!

I received my final result today, for MST121 Using Mathematics and I am thrilled to be able to say that I have passed.  I received 96% for the final piece of course work TMA04 and 82% for the CMA, giving an overall combined course result of 93%.  I plan a critical review of the course content in MST121, in the next few weeks!

So, now I can start to relax properly into my exam prep for M208 Pure Mathematics.  However, I received some bitter-sweet news yesterday when I found out that the Open University have now confirmed some course changes for the next two years, which affect me greatly.

The first of these, is that they have now postponed presentation of the new course M303 Further Pure Maths until October 2014.

This means that I can no longer realistically take that course, without extending my studies by a redundant year.  Now, the OU have countered this by stating that they will provide an additional presentation of the course M381 Number Theory and Mathematical Logic, which will actually allow me to take that course.

This is pleasing, as I do have a hankering for Godel's Proof which forms part of that course material.  I will now also need to take the separate course M336, Groups and Geometry, again a good course that I am looking forward to studying.  The only downside with these courses is that it will cost slightly more money to do two separate courses and will mean two 3hr exams instead of one.

But the real pain in the backside of all this is M338 Topology.  By not doing M303, I will miss some important Topological material, and the O.U's Topology course is in its last presentation in Feb 2012, which I am not ready to take.  So, It leaves a gap in my studies with the O.U.

I don't know how much of a profile gap that will leave, and whether I can successfully plug it by buying the Topology course and self-studying it.  We will have to see.

4 comments:

  1. well done should set you up for M208 next year
    Topology is crucial to mathematical physics as it plays a major part in General relativity Superstrings etc. Are you not tempted to fill in the gap with other maths courses eg MS324 or MST326 or even say a couple of physics courses such as quantum mechanics and or The relativistic universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tempted and suggestions / advice welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well its your choice but I would suggest quantum mechanics and Fluid Dynamics if you were to only do two of the Four.

    THere is a handy revision book for Fluld mechanics on the website which contains all the maths background you need and provides a good summary of the mathematical parts of MST209 that you will have missed something to look at whilst doing M208. And every physicist mathematical physicist should have some knowledge of quantum physics.

    For private study I would recommend the first volume of the relativistic universe as a way into general relativity it provides one of the most accessible introductions to General relativity that I know of.

    All you would need then is some knowledge of Maxwell's equations and a grounding in classical mechanics. That way you would have had an introduction to the main branches of physics which can only help in your dream to become a mathematical physicist. Even if it takes a year longer to get to the MSc. I've decided for reasons of my own to slow down on the Pure maths side which means that I'll be doing the MSc 1 year later than I intended

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations.
    That's a very respectable result.
    Best wishes for your next courses.

    ReplyDelete