Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Getting Bogged Down

Monday 9 July 2012

Getting Bogged Down

As I am working my way through GTB, the second Group Theory offering for M208 with the Open University, I have started to formulate my revision plan, in ernest.

The plan is simple enough;

note down all of the important sections in the handbook onto flash cards and learn them backwards over the next 12 weeks;

take a selection of exercises from the end of each unit and learn the structures of the answers, of each type;

Learn, verbatim, the answers to 3 past papers, so that the structure of the answers, is engrained;

Use two past papers as unseen tests,. One of them, timing of each individual answer and then stopping to reflect, before moving on to the next. The other paper, as a mock exam, one week prior to the exam, itself.

I hope that is enough.

However, I am just struggling to move through GTB, at the moment. It is taking hours to revise GTA, before absorbing the new material. We then have Analysis part B, to contend with at the end of July.

I know what I want to achieve, but I really am struggling to fit in all of the study of new material, writing TMA's and preparing and executing my revision plan.

I have started my flash cards, with GTA all complete, LA1 and LA2 half done. But it is only when one looks back through the handbook, that one can fully appreciate the mountain that stands in front of that golden, ephemeral glimpse, of a Distinction grade.

Why do we put ourselves through it?

1 comment:

  1. The past papers are fairly stereotyped, so give a very good indication of what will be on the exam.

    But it seems that the Counting Theorem might come up more often than it did in the past (which was virtually never) so revise that as well as the exam quextions.

    ReplyDelete