Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Don't Panic!

Monday 10 September 2012

Don't Panic!

I've had a month off from blogging, as I found that I needed to reduce my focus on the day to day detail of OU work, and take a more strategic view of the course, as I started to think about the exam.

Well, during that time, I have managed to score 83% on TMA06 which was the second analysis paper.  I was pleased with that mark, since I really didn't understand some of it, partly due to the fact that I simply couldn't settle quickly enough, back into the subject.

I really do hate the way that some of the most interesting material, so often feels crammed into the end of each OU course.  But such is life at this University.

So, tonight, I have rushed like crazy, to try and get TMA07, completed.  I've managed to complete approximately 83% of the paper. There were two questions that I tried to do battle with, but I was spending so much time on them with not much progress, that I realised that it was time being wasted.

I should mention, that using the course score calculator, it seems that in order to reach distinction level with my TMA work, this year, I now only need to score 30% in this last TMA.

I therefore rationalised, that if I could score about 70% , then my ego would not take too much of a bashing, and this would then leave me several more precious days, to fit in some exam revision, whilst still leaving the door open for an overall distinction, if I have a good day during the exam.

On the subject of exams, I normally like them, but I really feel that I may have met my match, this time around.

Having worked through some of the TMA07 exam style questions, I realised just how shaky some of my most basic maths foundations actually are.  Silly mistakes in TMA06 caused lost marks such as arithmetic errors and other trivia.  Also, some of the part 2 questions on the past papers, look formidable.

We shall see, in due course, how the nerves of the exam, will affect my accuracy and focus.


3 comments:

  1. Well just try to do as many past papers under exam conditions as possible. Then using the answers from the solutions available on the forums work out how many marks you would have got. The first time you do this exercise will be really depressing but then after a while it will get much better. I try to do at least 1 a week in this manner usually over the weekends then spend the rest of the week revising the bits I just didn't understand. Even if you don't have time to do a full paper See how much you can do blind in an hour

    All the best Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get hold of a copy of the Black Badge Press solutions asap. They are well worth the money.
    I think they are written by a tutor (or ex-tutor) so not only will they give you correct answers, they will also show you precisely what your examiner will expect you to do to arrive at them.
    You may very well find that you are tending to "waffle" for example relative to what is actually required. If so, addressing that issue now is a good thing as it will buy you more time to finish the paper.
    Indeed, as long as you manage to work through the past papers, time is always likely to be your biggest enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the guidelines for the exam is 2 hrs for Part 1 and 1 hr for part 2.

    I've just been breaking it down. Spend a week doing Q(1-6) trying to get it completed in less than an hour. Ended up being able to get these done comfortable in 45-50mins.

    Do the same for Q(7-12) and then practice the part 2's allowing each one 25mins, allowing time to recheck answers in the exam.

    Then start combining part 1 (1-6) , (7-12) and part 2 together.

    Best of luck with the exam everybody.

    ReplyDelete