Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: A Welcome Group Theory Interlude

Wednesday 20 November 2013

A Welcome Group Theory Interlude

I'm posting rather than studying at the moment.  Procrastination rules...

I have to say that the fourth book of the Mathematics module Groups and Geometry with the OU, is a lovely rehash of some safe, comforting basic group theory.  I never thought I would be so glad to meet this material again, after M208 (Pure Mathematics).  I had struggled, at times, with the concepts on Cosets and Normal subgroups; so it wasn't exactly a passion of mine, at the time.

But, coming back to it with fresh and slightly more capable eyes, I am actually enjoying this unit.  It is basic, but it is abstract and axiomatic, two aspects I very much enjoy.  But mainly, this is a welcome interlude from the relentless TMA onslaught of this course and the Number Theory course M381.

However, I see from Duncan's posts, that this is the calm before the storm, for this particular module.

No comments:

Post a Comment