Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Okay,

I have just come back off holiday, so this will be a short post of work carried out whilst I was sunning myself, in the pouring rain!


MST121


The Chain Rule
Exercise book C (calculus)


Misc Maths


Differentiation practise
Trigonometry identities and their differentials


Misc reading


Astro-photography (Sky at Night mag).

Calculus Made Easy, Thompson, Gardner.


The Teaching Company Lectures: Calculus


The Chain Rule



So, total time spent studying was 12hrs.

There has been a pretty amazing announcement in the cosmology community this week,  which appears to have been largely bypassed by the mainstream media, regarding some experimental evidence, for the existence of dark energy.

I personally hate the idea of dark mass and energy, as I find the whole thing, a bit of a cop out.  I am hoping, that in future years a more complete and satisfying explanation of physics, other than the standard model, is discovered.  In the meantime, I hope I don't spend the next 5yrs, becoming an expert on the standard model, only for it to be replaced by something more simple and intuitive ;-)

If it is disproved, I hope it happens sooner than that.  Maybe the LHC in Switzerland, will finally let us know, either way.  I just hope they hurry up, before I fill my head with one theory, only to be replaced by another.

But then, I suppose that is just the nature of science.  It just isn't exact; if you pardon the pun.

We just keep trying to understand 'stuff', using our limited knowledge, to date.  And, for now,  I am happy to be one of those who keep trying.



No comments:

Post a Comment