Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Obsessing about Mathematics

Thursday 9 February 2012

Obsessing about Mathematics

Hmm, this week, I struggled with a TMA question regarding equivalence relations.  I won't go into the details, for fear of breaching Uni regs; but all I will say, is that the question asks you to prove certain aspects of a relation.  Now, there are some relatively difficult parts of the question, but these weren't the parts that I had trouble with.  No,  it was more of a mental block and some slightly rusty, algebraic skills that caused my issues.  The marks that I was chasing, were only probably worth about one or two out of a  possible one hundred, in the whole paper.

So, one could argue that on the balance of things,  I should have had a go at the part that I struggled with, and not spent more than perhaps an hour on it, before moving onto some of the 'low hanging fruit', in the rest of the paper.

But, as I found when studying MST121, I can't let go of a TMA, unless I know that I have made every effort to understand the maths and produce reasonable answers.  I think if I ever found myself having to make-do by submitting a half-complete TMA; I may end up in a mental institution.

This is a concern as, apart from taking a slightly obsesive approach to O.U Maths study; I worry that if things get out of hand, that I may end up falling behind on study material, whilst chasing those last TMA marks.

In total, this week, I have spent 6hrs, chasing those one or two marks.  I don't know how good that is going to be, long term.  However, one good thing came out of it.  That is, I was forced to spend time with my brain, a pen and a white board.  I went down about 20 blind alleys, using all sorts of crazy methods, testing and probing.

And the outcome?  I think I have solved the problem and in the process of doing so, I have done so much thinking about the study materials, that I feel like I have a much better understanding of the more subtle ideas, that weren't aparant on my first study of the material.

So, it was time well spent, but I am exhausted and may well turn to a few pints of Bishop's Finger tonight.
I think I'll post part 2 of the TMA on Monday and then really start concentrating on Group Theory; only to do it all again at the end of March, via TMA 02!

2 comments:

  1. It is hard not to obsess about the details as I have found myself this week (see my similar post) but I wonder if it is worth it. I found myself getting quite humourless about it until I reminded myself that I was supposed to be doing this for fun! It is worth putting extra effort in but at some point you have to let go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duncan, you are so right. However, I don't know about you, but I think I am getting addicted to all those blind alley explorations! Time for a drink.

    ReplyDelete