Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: First Real Dip in Performance

Friday 24 February 2012

First Real Dip in Performance

For the last two weeks, I have been experiencing what all distance, adult learners dread and fear.  It is the overtaking of life events, family, work and business, that all add untold pressure to the long-time adult learner.

I normally get at least one or two periods in each year, when I experience a nasty combination of events, that cause a drop in study motivation or performance.  And for me, my first of this year, has just occurred.

Thankfully, I have managed to pull through the back end of it and plan to get well back on track with my study hours.  The effects have been minimal, in that, when I kick started the Groups units, I was four weeks ahead of the course's suggested study timetable.  I am now nearer only two - three weeks ahead, as due to some horrible work problems along with dreadful sciatica causing me to take brain-melting painkillers, I have only managed 6hrs of study per week, for the last two weeks.

But, it is only temporary, as I am now used to the medication and the work issues have subsided.

The good news is that I have finished TMA01; I am finding the Groups units relatively straight forward; and I am able to attend the next three day schools.  So, barring any other disasters, I should get back on track and I look forward to leaving Groups temporarily at the end of March and moving onto Linear Algebra, which looks exciting.

How important it has proved, to be ahead of the curve, when studying independently.

1 comment:

  1. I think linear algebra is one of the most fundamental branche of mathematics as applied to physics unfortunately M208 will only give you a selected overview.

    For a better view of linear algebra and its relevance to physics see this book which I been trying to get as many people interested in as possoible via my own blog and via the OU blogs.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Linear-Analysis-World-Student/dp/0201039494

    A really good mix of pure maths and Applied maths
    and how the two branches interelate

    There used to be an OU course based on this book
    but alas no more.

    ReplyDelete