Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Settling Down After the Exam

Monday 22 October 2012

Settling Down After the Exam

I experienced a post exam high, that has not yet dissipated   I have never experienced such a phenomena  after any previous exams on other courses.

Interestingly, this high is not a reflection of how I think that I have done, in the exam.  It is more a sense of accomplishment from simply being able to study all of that university level pure mathematics, and actually understand most of it.  I feel nourished from the very act of pitting my brain against M208; a course that was a cruel mistress at times, but ultimately lovable.

On reflection, the whole experiment of trying to start out with a GCSE (school) level qualification in mathematics, and move into such higher mathematical study, seemed like a tall order; a flight of fancy; a pipe dream.

Yet, here we are, two years on from starting to study maths with the Open University; and I feel strangely calm, enthused and ready to tackle more.

To that end, I have finalised my next 12 months of study, and it looks something like this:


November 2012
MST209 course material-
Second Order differential equations
Vector Algebra recap
Fourier Series
Partial differential equations
Vector Calculus


December 2012
S207 course material-
Static Fields and potentials
Dynamic fields and waves


January 2013
A Student's Guide to Maxwell Equations.    Fleisch, Daniel.
A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors.      Fleisch, Daniel.

I'll also dip into the Unit 0 material for the Open University third year course,  MS324 Waves Diffusion and Variational Principles


This is all self study material, that looks exciting and a real change from the very abstract world of pure maths.

This is all in preparation for my next year of study which consists of:


February 2013 - October 2013

The Quantum World - 3rd year quantum mechanics module

Electromagnetism - 3rd year applied maths / physics module


That only then leave me one more 30 point level three module to do, in order to have enough points to claim a BSc Hons Open degree, at that point.  Even so, I am actually planning on taking 60 points in October 2013, as I want to enrich my knowledge in mathematical physics, sufficiently enough to allow an easier introduction into some post-graduate work in October 2014.

Also, I am trying to make use of my transitional arrangements for the university fees, which is a system that vastly reduces the costs of any additional undergraduate modules that I can squeeze in, before 2017.

Roll on February.

I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good plan the only thing I would say is you should try and look at the mechanics parts of MST209 as well especially Simple Harmonic motion. That is probably the most important part it also shows how second order differential equations are directly relevant

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete