Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: M208 TMA02

Sunday 4 March 2012

M208 TMA02

I have started on question 1 of this TMA, which covers group theory from the units GTA, M208.  One thing I have noticed about the start of this TMA, is that it feels a lot easier than the second part of TMA01, which covered a lot of introductory concepts and areas, in preparation for the rest of the course.

In analysing it, I don't think that it is any easier; I just think that my brain has adapted to the types of information and rigour that is needed, to answer the questions well.

When I was completing TMA01, I just couldn't remember how to include all of the information needed, to answer the question and pick up the marks.  I think this has been commented on in many places recently, and it is because the rigour that is needed, can turn the most simple of answers, into three pages of waffle, where you feel as if you are repeating yourself.

It reminds me of when I began my O.U journey, studying art history and the humanities.  My, then tutor, told me that in order to do well in an essay question; you needed to state your answer in the introduction, restate it with explanation and evidence in the main body of the question and then finally to restate it again, in the summary and conclusion section.

This wash, rinse and repeat method, certainly looks like the method that is needed to answer a rigorous pure mathematics question.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah thats one of the problems with Pure maths it just doesn't flow unlike Applied maths where you can just open your notepad and get stuck in.
    Looks like you are on top of things though

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete