Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: M337 Complex Analysis and SMT359 Electromagnetism

Wednesday 28 March 2012

M337 Complex Analysis and SMT359 Electromagnetism

I had pre-registered with the OU on two courses that are due to start in October 2012, which are Complex analysis and Number theory.  However, I received an email from the O.U stating that because of transitional arrangements with fees; that my registrations had been cancelled and that I needed to re-register this week.

It isn't too much of a drama, as I always pre-register on the course I think i will probably do, and then I do a final check, before committing to them.  This approach has worked well in the past, as I often hone my path, depending on my experiences of that year's study.

So far, I have enjoyed M208, even if Group Theory was a bit dull.  I have started the Linear algebra units and they are much more satisfying and easier to conceptualise.

So, today, I have done my final checks, before registering on my next two courses that follow M208, which is due to finish in October 2012.

I have chosen:

M337 Compex analysis starting Oct 2012

SMT359 Electromagnetism starting Feb 2013

This staggered presentation actually works very well for me.  It allows me to get a real head start in cracking complex analysis, and aim for that level 1 pass, before applying some of its content, in the course that starts in February.

This means that the exams will be staggered as well, and that I will then be able to study for the electromagnetism exam, without distraction.

Why am I dropping number theory this year?  Well, there are several very solid reasons.  But primarily, because of the transitional fee arrangements, all O.U students are now restricted in picking and choosing modules.  For me, this means that my plan to complete some pure maths at level 3, before going on to do applied maths; would have taken me over my allowed 360 points, that I can claim reduced fees.

Bottom line?  I can't afford the luxury of meandering my way through the whole maths syllabus, offered by the O.U at undergraduate level.

So now, it has forced me to be much more focussed.  So, in line with my plans of reaching the dizzying heights of mathematical physics; I will take the complex analysis course (essential in my opinion) and start my first mathematical physics course, with the O.U, earlier than I had planned to.

In a way, it probably makes much more sense, and may even force me to move through my studies, a lot quicker than I had planned.

I am missing some applied maths at level 2, by not taking MST209, but I plan to remedy this, by trying to get hold of the PDF's for MST209, that specifically cover any content required for SMT359.

What are my preliminary plans for Oct 2013?  Well, hot favourite at the moment, is The Quantum World and another level 3 maths / physics course.  I do have to be careful though, to ensure that I can still claim transitional fees, for the courses I choose, so watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. Ok but make sure you can cope with vector calculus, especially the integral caclulus, are comfortable with differential equations both ordinary and partial and make sure you understand the wave equation.

    Also take the time to read up about the physics behind electromagnetic phenomenon.

    Good luck anyway I think it's best to balance a pure course with an Applied or physics course
    I found trying to do 2 pure maths courses really did my head. Although I'm struggling with Topology I find the Waves course light relief.

    Best wishes Chris.

    ReplyDelete