Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Thursday 31 March 2011

Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Okay, a very slow start, back into study, and I have spent a focussed week, looking into part of the course MST121, entitled, Modelling with Sequences.  I am currently studying the different units, of this course, out of sequence.  I have dipped in and out of Vectors, Matrices and Sequences.  I find, that this keeps my interest and also maintains a holistic view of the course, by not becoming too narrowly focussed on any one part.

So, studied this week:

Sequences and Limits

Sequences from recurrence Systems

Sequences from Sums

Recap of some mental arithmetic, including lots of fractions work (just felt like brushing up).

My daughter (now 6yrs old), has been studying Kumon Maths, for the last 2yrs now, and has achieved her Silver Medal this month (Silver medal is given for being 1yr ahead of your age group).  It was seeing her, doing lightening fast, mental arithmetic of large 2 digit numbers, in one step, that led me to feel like I should brush up on some mental maths, myself!

She seems to have a natural ability and is amazing with numbers.  However, when I asked her whether she wanted to be a mathematician or scientist, when she grows up, she simply told me straight,

 'daddy, I want to look after ponies, and wear a glittery riding hat'.

No comments:

Post a Comment