Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: The Trouble with Mathcad...

Wednesday 9 March 2011

The Trouble with Mathcad...

Mathcad is a piece of software that I am currently using, with the Open University.  It is essentially a computer programme that does algebraic manipulation, graphs, matrices, calculus and lots of other useful stuff.  As part of course MST121 (Using Mathematics), and also many other O.U courses at level 2; Mathcad, is an integral part of the course and you have to provide printouts, for some of the marked TMA (coursework) questions.

Now, I am not technophobic, by any means!  However, I just cannot get my head around Mathcad.  It is very counter-intuitive compared to other digital interfaces, that we now use.  Most of us are used to windows, Word, Excel or the Apple equivalents.  Many people have apple I-phones or Blackberry smart-phones, myself included; and what all of these trappings of modern life, have in common, is that they all have an intuitive, easy to use, functional format, that even my 5yr old, appears to have no difficulty in working out.

So, why oh why, is Mathcad so difficult to use?  It is certainly not intuitive.  For example, I sat down last night, and tried to plot a simple graph, with a point shown on that graph and also a line across the Y axes.  But this took me nearly 3hrs.  I had to muddle through some ropey instructions, without much clue, other than trial and error, helping me along the way.  Even the end result, was utterly uninspiring.  My feeble point, plotted on the screen, hardly seemed worth all of the effort!  However, it was a requirement for my current TMA, so it needed to be done.

It's as if the software is from a bygones age.  The OU were nostalgically famed, (in the U.K), for their 1970's late night BBC films, featuring bearded professors, adorned with corduroy, kipper ties and flares.  I almost feel that I should be wearing those items, when tackling Mathcad.  Although, I wouldn't worry too much about growing a beard, as it seems to take care of itself, as you spend countless hours fumbling around with the software!

Mathcad feels years behind, in producing a user friendly, enjoyable, intuitive experience.


I know, from looking at other student comments, in the Open University forums; that it is not just me, having difficulties with the software.  It does surprise me, that the O.U haven't developed their own after all these years.  With all of those world-class computer science and maths graduates floating around, it would make a nice project for someone, or even present a good business opportunity.

All in all, the use of Mathcad is difficult.  I'm not sure it is going to make maths easier, as I progress through the next 2yrs.

2 comments:

  1. I encourage you to check out our newest release, Mathcad Prime 1.0. The new interface is exactly what you are looking for -- an interface designed for users with Web 2.0 intuitions. Alas, tt currently lacks the symbolic tools that you need for your OU courses, they wil be available in December with Prime 2.0. www.ptc.com/go/trymathcadprime

    Follow up with MathcadEducation@ptc.com & check out my blog posts: blogs.ptc.com

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    You are a star. I'll check it out post haste.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete