Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: TMA01 Result

Monday 28 March 2011

TMA01 Result

I received back my result for TMA01, MST121, this week.  I scored 93% which I am very pleased with, considering it was done whilst sick.  However, I made some enquiries with the Open University, last week.  The enquiries were about the post graduate courses in maths and physics, that they run.  I was simply enquiring as to the types of courses and the likely future presentation of such courses.

The person I spoke to on the phone, was a little negative.  She promptly told me, that I had no business, thinking about doing a research degree in maths or physics, unless I was scoring at least 95% in my TMA's.  I happen to think, that she is wrong.  TMA01, is my first summative piece of course work, that I have completed for MST121, which, if replicated in the next 3 TMA's, should see a distinction grade.  Why 93% would not be good enough for research work? I have no idea.

The lady I spoke to left me feeling a little deflated, however, following my bought of very bad sickness this last 2 months (I have pneumonia, which I can't shake off); that lady's comments, have just spurred me on, to put her in the pile of non-believers, and achieve my goals, in spite of opinions like hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment