Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Thursday 21 April 2011

Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Another week done!  I am finally back in my stride following my months of sickness and this summer is shaping up to become a very interesting period of study.  I have started the 'official' calculus part of my University studies.  It is not surprising, that the Open University have a compulsory postgraduate course entitled, Calculus of variations and advanced calculus (M820), which must be studied, before they allow you to take any further postgraduate courses with them.


I can certainly see the merits in doing so.  I mean, most real world processes, that need modelling in a precise and predictive way, tend to use calculus as a large part of the calculations.  I think that calculus is becoming a personal passion and I find it intuitively simple, to understand, contrary to my pre-ideas about the subject, before I ever encountered it.


Anyway, here is this week's completed study.  I finished S196 and submitted that coursework.  I have now almost completed my draft version of TMA02 for MST121 and I am now headlong into calculus.  The time spent studying this week, has been 16hrs:




MST121


Recap on Vectors
TMA02 draft version completed
Lots of practice, differentiating polynomials!


The Teaching Company: Calculus lectures


Infinite limits and limits at infinity
The derivative and the tangent line
Basic differentiation rules


S196
Completed EMA (coursework)
Finished course. (result due approx September 2011)


I can't wait to do some more calculus this week and I may even dip into the Integration and modelling books early, to keep my perspective broad, as I assault the differentiation material.

No comments:

Post a Comment