Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: S196, Finished!

Wednesday 20 April 2011

S196, Finished!

I have finally, after much reading and study time, finished my Open University course, S196 Planets: An Introduction.

It was very interesting to learn about the planets; however, trying to write the coursework was a real challenge.  The coursework asked many questions of almost forensic detail, about the planets or their many, many satellites.  Now, I don't mind a bit of detail.  In fact, the detail is exactly what I enjoy when I am learning maths.  But the detail that I needed to learn for S196, about individual craters, scarps, rotation periods, ad nauseam; was a little bit like train spotting.  I felt like I was just having to read a load of boring facts about planets, and then regurgitate them for the coursework.

Some people may like the parrot fashion, learning of a subject, but I don't.  I prefer solving problems, forming abstract concepts and using them in application on important issues.

Well, it's all done now.  I submitted my coursework this afternoon.  But I have to say, that if I never have to see another Trans-Neptunian object again; it will be far too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment