Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: MST121, TMA04 Finished

Monday 12 September 2011

MST121, TMA04 Finished

Finally.  After 9 months of work, it is done.  TMA04 and CMA42 both completed and sent in to the OU.  I have now officially completed MST121 and can now have a short break of a few days, before I kick start my prep work for M208 Pure Maths, in January 2012.

In total, I have completed 50 points this year, at level 1.  This now gives me a grand total of 250 pts; of which, 30 are at level 3, 60 at level 2 and 160 at level 1.

2012 will see me taking on:

 M208 Pure Mathematics (60pts at level 2)
M337 Complex Analysis (30pts at level 3)
Plus one 30pt Level 3 course (TBC)

2013 will consist of:

M303 'Further Pure Maths' (60pts at level 3)


This is just my O.U studies and doesn't include lots of other exciting maths and physics, that I have planned.

Regardless of anything else, my minimum expectation, is to complete my degree and kick start some post graduate maths in 2014.

As part of my prep for my next course, M208, I have obtained a copy of the course MS221 (Exploring Mathematics), which I intend to self-study for the next 16 weeks.  I  also plan to set up a daily regime of additional mathematics work based around the Analysis and Geometry books by Brannan, alongside some basic proof work from, 'How to Prove It', by Velleman.

I'm also going to try and crack a sub-5min Rubik's Cube!

3 comments:

  1. In terms of MS221 for M208 prep you could just focus on the last two parts indeed the Introductory units of M208 overlap quite considerably with the last 4 units of MS221.
    The stuff about recurrence relationships fixed points etc whilst interesting doesn't really occur in M208. However it is definitely worth doing the calculus units not only for M208 but also for your physics interest. Indeed I would have thought it imperative that you learn about second order differential equations and partial differential equations and their applications to problems in physics asap. I suggest the MST209 units which you can download from Open learn
    provide a good starting point.
    Have you downloaded the bridging material from the MST209 that and the last two parts of MST221
    should be more than enough preparation for further work. Mind you I hated the fiddly number theory part of MS221. So easy to make mistakes.

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, fiddly indeed. Also, when reading the number theory unit of MS221 and coming across all of those 'mods', I did wonder if I had gone back in time to the 60's. Felt like dusting off my Lambretta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't say I'm looking forward to the number theory part of M381. I'm only doing because of my wish to understand Godel's theorem.

    ReplyDelete