Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: S197 How the Universe Works

Saturday 10 September 2011

S197 How the Universe Works

I received a pass result this morning, for this Open University module.  It was a 10 point level 1 course in elementary cosmology and particle physics.  It was a very exciting course and went into more depth than I would have imagined for a level 1 course.  I didn't receive any specific feedback from the results of S197, other than a pass, so I am not sure how well I did; but it was probably one of the most enjoyable course that I have completed, to date.

I have counted the course towards my certificate of higher education, which is now complete.  I will claim it once the University offer it formally to me, which means that I then only have M208 Pure maths to complete, to achieve my diploma in higher education (I have previous humanities courses at levels 1, 2 and 3).  I then only need 30 more points at level 3 (probably complex analysis), for a BSc and then another 60pts (M303 Further Pure maths), to complete one of my BSc Hons.

I did a quick calculation last night, on the back of a fag packet; and it looks like I should be into my postgraduate maths courses by October 2014, whilst continuing to study some physics and mathematical physics, at undergraduate level.  I still haven't formulated how I will structure my study from 2014 onwards; but one possible option would be to continue to take an MSc in mathematics either with the OU or another college, such as Kings in London; whilst also taking undergraduate courses of study either formally, via self study, or both, along side the formal mathematics training.

Whether I need to complete an MSc in full (I suspect I will + it will give me a chance to cover all the physics I need to, alongside); or whether I can do a postgraduate diploma in maths and then hop onto an MPhil; I will need to think about that and seek some professional advice at the time.

One thing I am not short of is options, and there are so many permutations, that it is going to be lots of fun, which ever way I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment