Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: TMA04

Friday 9 September 2011

TMA04

TMA04, is a pain in the backside.  50% of it needs to be carried out using OU Stats and Mathcad.  And, because of a software issue, my Mathcad just wouldn't behave itself.  I therefore spent 3 or 4 days, trying to battle my way through it and sent a pleading email to my Tutor, for some advice.  She couldn't give it, but did suggest a re-install.  I un-installed, re-installed and... it works!!

All that wasted time faffing about.  Anyway, I think I am now 75% of the way through the paper, with the Mathcad bit now complete.

The other problem with TMA04, is that they have put in, what I think, is an unfair question.  Not quite a trick question, but not far off it.

I can't go into the detail, for fear of breaching University regs, but what I will say, is that the some of the answers require more algebra, trigonometry and problem solving skills, than I would have expected in a level 1 course of this nature.  I do wonder whether it has been done purposely, to identify those that really have properly mastered ALL of the course concepts.

A horrible TMA and I'll be glad to see the back of it.

2 comments:

  1. It's good practice especially if you want to go onto do research. Also the fact that there is not an exam probably means as you say it's to identify those that have mastered All of the course concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, think you are spot on there Chris. It did feel like a mini research project, using all of ones brain and math reference works, to solve it. A pain, but good fun though ;-)

    ReplyDelete