Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: M208, TMA02, away...

Wednesday 4 April 2012

M208, TMA02, away...

Well, I managed to complete TMA02, about 3 days ago; and on the whole, I am fairly happy with it. However, I did feel the need, to complete a rather intensive and mature assessment of the Group Theory units, after the TMA.  This was because I just didn't feel that I understood the theories in sufficient detail, to be able to extrapolate the key themes, into unseen exam questions.

I have therefore spent my 'spare' minutes of each day, this week, copying the Group Theory A content from the handbook, into my 'Moleskine Journal'.  I have then carried this about with me and revised the key elements, at random points in the day.

It is a bit of an old fashioned way of learning (copying verbatim and then just reading repeatedly), but it can be a solid technique, for times when the content just won't stay in your head.  For me, studying Group Theory, is just one of those occasions.

Anyway, what a breath of fresh air, the Linear Algebra units have been.  I have launched into studying this rather satisfying topic, and completed the first unit, Vectors and Conics.  I am now also half-way through the second unit, Linear Equations and Matrices.

I do find Linear Algebra, to be a deeply interesting topic, which requires a certain amount of accuracy and attention to detail.  When I first studied this topic, I didn't really enjoy it.  Looking back, I now think that it was because my introduction consisted of just being shown a few 'processes', to crunch numbers with and obtain the solutions to some linear equations.

This type of approach, would probably be called 'hand-waving', by my current M208 tutor, Mr Jina; and I would probably agree with him.  You see, before M208, I had never explored Linear Algebra from first principles.  As such, I never really understood it, and so in order to learn it, I had to 'rote' learn the techniques.  Something which can be very difficult, for a dyslexic learner to do.

But now, M208 has introduced the techniques in a clear and concise way, allowing me to have complete understanding, with little in the way of hand-waving, going on!

I did initially have one gripe, which was this seemingly nutty way of solving simultaneous equations using row-reduction,  Gaussian techniques, or whatever they call them?  I couldn't believe how over complicated, it seemed to make the whole thing.  'How dare they', I said; 'what are they thinking?', I bleated.

That was, until I turned the pages, and realised that it is actually a rather clever way of sorting out big matrices, with lots of unknowns.  So, I take back the swearing that I uttered, whilst studying the first unit of LA2.  All is now forgiven.

So, I now await the result of TMA02 and I am already starting to look at TMA03, the first part of which, I may start to sketch out, on Monday morning.

1 comment:

  1. It will become quite abstract towards the end of the block. But Linear Algebra and it's extensions is really important to physics. One thing that is not really stressed in M208 is tha powerful analogy between geometric vectors and functions in function space. Differential operators have eigenvalues just as vectors and matrices do. Also the abstract aspects of linear algebra play an important part in the Dirac formalism of quantum mechanics so definitely worth getting to know.

    ReplyDelete