Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Another week done and, this morning, I received my 1000th blog visitor, which is definitely a motivator for me, to keep writing about my journey from a GCSE in maths, to a PhD in Theoretical Physics.

I have taken this opportunity, to reflect on my likely path towards this lofty goal.  I believe that the easiest way to study physics is by doing as much 'brain-melting' maths first, before attempting heavy weight physics of any kind.

My chosen course for next year, is the first steps at the start of this path.  I am enrolled on MST209, Mathematical methods and models.  This is one of the true beginnings of mathematical physics with the Open University.  It is maths applied to physical models and offers a launch pad to higher level 3 courses.

I am definitely warming to the idea of doing at least some of the post-grad OU maths courses or even the full MSc Maths, before diverging into post-grad physics.  I am certainly excited about all that higher level calculus and other complex areas of maths and mathematical physics.  I need to do some research, but I believe that Rodger Penrose, and many other successful physicists, actually studied maths at undergraduate level, before doing physics later.  I'll confirm this and post later.  It's probably a good exercise to do anyway, as examining the study paths of great physicists, may help shape some of my future course decisions.

I was flicking through a book, last night, from another Open University course, S207, The Physical World.  The book was the intro to quantum mechanics.  As I turned the pages and tried to make sense of the Schrödinger equations, standing wave models and working out whether a particle is bound or unbound; I thought back to before I started studying maths, and I do believe that I just would not have understood, even qualitatively, any of the more unusual quantum physics concepts, if I hadn't studied the maths first.

However, there was a very interesting paragraph in the S207 book, that presented the argument that although many brilliant physicists and mathematicians can use maths to apply equations to quantum situations; many of them don't understand why quantum mechanics works, or indeed, how it works.

This started me thinking of perhaps how dangerous it could be, using theories that we can manipulate but don't understand, to change the world around us.  I am thinking in particular, about the attempts at creating a quantum computer.  It is said, that a quantum computer will be able to calculate in multiple states, simultaneously, so that (if you believe the many worlds theory), it could be using copies of itself in other universes, to multiply its processing power, almost infinitely.

And, although I don't believe that this type of future technological power, is intrinsically dangerous; I am not so sure about the humans that will wield that power.  I understand that the U.S and other military's, are already racing to develop quantum computing and other technologies, such as carbon nano-tubes.  What will the military do with this power?  Who knows?

Anyway, on that apocalyptic note, here is this week's completed study.

Total study time:  20hrs.

MST121
Finished, reviewed and posted TMA03.  (Answers checked, using Wolfram Alpha and Mathcad)
Differential equations: Euler's Method.
Slope Fields
Further integration practice
Separating variables practise
Vectors, practise questions

Probability: Game Theory
Independence and multiplication rule

The Teaching Company Lectures: Calculus
Inverse trigonometrical identities
Bases other than 'e'

The Teaching Company Lectures: Mastering Differential Equations
What is a differential Equation?
A Limited-growth population model


This week, I will be finalising my marked assignment for S197 (How the Universe Works), my' intro to astrophysics' course.  I will also be taking a well earned, few days off, going camping.  Lets hope it stays hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment