Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Richard Feynman and the Open University

Thursday 7 July 2011

Richard Feynman and the Open University

I have now returned from my week off and feel raring to go again with some hardcore maths and physics.

Over the weekend, I ordered the first volume of Richard Feynman's infamous lectures on physics.  It arrived today and whilst leafing through the worn brown pages of the preface in my newly aquired second hand book, I had cause to pause and think, about some of Feynman's own opinions on the teacher and student relationship.

Feynman discusses how the student - teacher relationship, is the most important factor, in whether or not a student will be successful in learning physics.  This, he describes, is when a student discusses ideas, talks about ideas and thinks about ideas, with their tutor.  Ostensibly he extolls that this is the time when the learning happens.

I raise these points as it made me think about being an Open University student.  Those solitary hours, just me, my books and my thoughts.  I know that the tutors are there to support; but I personally don't normally have contact with them, unless I have serious issues or as part of the TMA process.  I'm sure other people have much more contact and find it useful.  But I don't.

However, what I have noticed about the Open University texts is that they are written in a way that is 'just-so'.  I often find that if I'm reading and a question or confusion springs into my head; my problem is usually answered nicely, in the next few pages.  These are student orientated texts; they are easy to follow and they put some mainstream textbooks, to shame.

I believe that the voices of all those editors (most of whom are, or have been, O.U tutors), seep through the pages and speak to the reader, as the pages are slowly digested and enjoyed.

I am very happy with my O.U texts, and I suspect that Robert Feynman would probably have agreed with me, in this respect.


No comments:

Post a Comment