Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Exciting Mathematics

Monday 18 July 2011

Exciting Mathematics

Earlier on tonight, I had a quick chat on the phone, with my tutor.  I wanted some advice on future course choices, as my tutor has extensive first hand experience of studying O.U maths and science courses, over the last few years, whilst also studying for a PhD.

As we were chatting, something she mentioned, got me thinking deeply about distance learning and the absorption of subjects that are as intellectually demanding as honours level mathematics.  My tutor used an adjective to describe maths home study, that I have never heard used in that context before.  The word that she used, was 'Exciting'.

I didn't pay much attention to such an unusual use of this word, during our conversation; but once I sat down for dinner, I pondered its use.

Exciting?..Yes...I agree!

Sitting on my own at night, with my books, my pencil and my exercise books;  the thing that keeps me coming back for more, is that every time I learn a new piece of knowledge (especially an intellectually demanding one), I am excited by this.

I love learning new stuff.  I guess that it seems a little counter-intuitive, though, to call it exciting.  We all know that studying mathematics, is probably last on the list of classic past-times, that could be classed as exciting.  Bungee jumping, yes; roller-blading, yes; Severn of Nine's Star-Trek uniform, yes; but studying?... Well, yes.

And besides, from that excitement also comes the risk of addiction, which any long-term distance learner will appreciate.

Should there be a public health warning on the side of each O.U textbook cover, such as: 'Warning, regular use may cause dependency.'?  Maybe.

However, using a critical eye, I know that this 'excitement', can be short lived, particularly  if the work is too easy or far too difficult.  If the work is too easy, then this can be remedied by supplementary exercises and such like; but too difficult?  Well, I guess that all of my outside reading, away from core O.U courses, has all been done as a - sort of - cushion.  A buffer to ease any jolts of future difficulty, that may try and make the excitement, a distant memory.

Exciting, we like.
Brain melting, like a Pan-Galactic-Gargleblaster, we don't.

4 comments:

  1. So have you decided what you want to do next year you could be really brave and do both MST209 and M208 in one year, I think with your background and dedication it would be feasible. Although I understand the work load for MST209 is a lot harder than that of M208. Still you can get a head start on MST209 by downloading the units from Open Learn and also as you are already reading Brannan that should be a good head start. Download some past exam papers from OUSA to get an idea of the sort of questions that are asked you'll need them anyway so you might as well get them now.
    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still undecided but leaning towards MST209, which I have registered for, just in case. My tutor said that the workload of MST209 is very heavy. Both together? Might by a divorce on the cards, if I did that. M208 alone? Not sure a whole 9 months of only pure maths, floats my boat. Still thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having just spoken with the regional advice centre, they are going to let me drop in and view all of the course materials for M208 and MST209. I think I'll know, once I've scanned the material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if you do 209 this year you could do MS221 as well which you would find quite easy and it's good exam practice also necessary for a named degree then the year after you could do M208 and a thirty point Applied Maths/Physics course.

    That way you could do a combination of Pure and Applied together each year.

    ReplyDelete