Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: S197 Finished! Cert H.E studies complete

Monday 18 July 2011

S197 Finished! Cert H.E studies complete

At last, I have now completed and submitted my EMA for S197 How the Universe Works.  It was an extremely enjoyable course and one, from which, I have learnt a lot.

The course really does give a whistle-stop tour of the Universe from its first few moments of Planck time, through to postulating the future of cosmology and the M-theory that is currently being worked on.

Considering that this was a level 1 course, It didn't dumb down the concepts or the detail needed on topics such as primordial nucleosynthesis or cosmic expansion.  Of course, these topics were covered qualitatively, rather than with any mathematical rigour; but none the less, it was a very enjoyable diversion from my calculus studies.

A nice added bonus is that, if passed, it will complete another university certificate for me, on the very long journey towards a PhD.  Although it will be superseded by a Dip H.E and a B.A, at the end of next year, it is still a nice one to put in the back pocket and to fill the baron, white space on a C.V.

The total of Cert H.E modules included for this qualification, are (nb: not full module titles):

A103 Humanities
L192 French
S194 Astronomy
S196 Planets
S197 Cosmology / Astronomy

That is 120 points at year 1 level

I have purposely aimed for a nice balance of the liberal arts rather than just a one sided science qualification at level 1.  I am hoping that it looks better to any future employer and shows that I have a more rounded education.

I know, upon speaking earlier this year,  to the course director of the BSc Astronomy at Lancashire; that she is one of many academics, who actively encourage students to make good use of any free choice modules in a degree profile, by exploring other non-science subjects.  This is in the belief that it produces a more well-rounded student and person.  I would certainly agree with that hypothesis.

(It has also helped me shout out more correct answers when watching University Challenge.  My wife is mildly impressed)

Onwards and upwards.  It is now full-on MST121 until September, with a little sprinkling of self generated maths study, in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment