Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: TMA03 Result

Thursday 14 July 2011

TMA03 Result

I passed!  95% score with marks dropped for:

A rounding error
Truncation of a hand written graph
Over simplification of an answer
A calculation mistake

So, I am very happy with the result; but having listened to Richard Feynman's audio book 'Surely You must be joking Mr Feynman...'; Feynman tells of a realisation that he discovered during his Princeton years, which I shall share here.

He describes how he believed that there are two types of knowledge.

1. Solid, adaptable and useful knowledge.

2. Knowledge that is learned, but yet it is brittle, non-malleable and difficult to apply.

He explains a situation when he was chatting with another Grad student and he posed a question about relativity.  He asked the student how he would work out the maximum amount of distance that an object could move from a gravitational body, in the shortest amount of time, with an initial velocity given.

The Grad student struggled with the problem and couldn't work out how to answer it.  Feynman explained, that to answer the question, simply involved working out the maxima of a function, created for the object.  This is undergraduate calculus, at best, and yet the student couldn't apply the knowledge he already had.

The reason I mention this interesting example, is that the calculus that I created for the TMA03, managed to score me 95%, yet I still don't feel that I 'own' the subject.  I am still having to keep referring back to the mechanical 'rules' of integration, each time I attempt a problem.

And, whilst I am a realist and understand that knowledge takes time to sink in.  It is still a nervous time, waiting for it to happen.

The time between first attempting a difficult new skill, and mastering it, can be a time of self doubt and wonder.  "Will I ever understand it?", "am I intelligent enough to cope with the course?"

Whilst these unanswered questions can be unnerving; they also provide the basis for the greatest feelings of triumph and accomplishment.  Because, after all that hard work, once you do master something that you once found almost impossible; you now know that you have a set of tools and techniques that you can use, to study, learn and achieve.

I'm not quite there yet, but I keep trying everyday.  Lets see what happens!

4 comments:

  1. Yes these things take time to sink in a bit like a pianist or musician endlessly learning their scales so aspiring physicists mathematicians must practice practice practice.
    One of the slight disadvantages of the OU maths courses is that there is not really enough time to develop the practical skills thoroughly unless you are really dedicated. For A level we would spend months just doing basic differentiation and integration The OU expects people to become proficient in 6 weeks at the most. So inevitably for a lot of people they find it hard. You do seem to have the right idea though Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I love Feynman. I didn't know there was an audio book of Surely.... I have the book, which I read in a few weeks around Christmas, and the follow up. I'd love to hear this stuff in his own voice though. The man is truly inspiring. I caught the film starring Matthew Broderick called Infinity, which basically leads up to his working on the Manhatten Project. Not astounding or anything, as much of it seemed to be a case of fit as many classic Feynman anecdotes as we can into this film (then, according to Wikipedia, it was based on those two books, so I guess that's unavoidable). Nevertheless, enjoyable enough I suppose; I'd probably watch it again.

    Nice result by the way, and of your worries, at least in terms of calculus, it'll continue to be drummed in over your next few courses pretty much whatever route you go, I reckon. Ownage is only a matter of time.

    Neil H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, The Feynman book is narrated by someone else. However, the narrator is easy to listen to and his accent, voice and turn of phrase are Feynman-esk.

    I didn't know there was a film. I was looking for some interesting diversion this evening. I think I'll try and find 'Infinity', on the internet and watch it with a few beers.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a shame. I think they're supposed to be transcribed from recordings of discussions he had with Ralph Leighton, so I assume that they must be out there somewhere.

    Floating around the internet is also his Horizon interview from the early 80s. I wonder if you've seen that one? Actually, I found it split into sections on Youtube a few months ago, when I was looking for more Feynman to watch.

    Neil H

    ReplyDelete