Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Physics and Maths, Studied this Week.

Another crazy week done and I have now recovered from the mental scars of Chapter D1 in MST121!  I have really started to now explore, other supplementary study materials, trying to expand and fill in gaps in my basic knowledge of maths and Physics.

I have headed some rather excellent and welcome advice from a learned, fellow blogger, Chris; who is very well qualified to make comments on topics such as study content and future paths.

I have purchased the Feynman Physics Lectures part 1, and am managing a chapter every few days.  This gives a nice easy going recap and re-introduction to some key physics concepts.  Also, I have purchased A First Course in Mathematical Analysis, David Brannan.

I have started to work through this exploration of real analysis / advanced calculus, but have needed to recap on some rusty algebra, including some not so deft handling of inequalities.  About 2yrs ago, I had gotten my mental arithmetic and algebraic manipulations, so that they were lightning fast.  However, I have notice a massive drop off in speed and my memory is occasionally failing me.
So, my brief start on analysis has also kicked me into practising more algebra and general maths skills, which is always worth doing.

I have also nearly drawn my End of Course Assignment, to a close, for S197, How The Universe Works.  I hope to finish it and send it off before Monday.

I am nicely into a rythm at the moment, with a nice balance of practise questions and new material.

Total study Time this week:  31hrs.

MST121
Chapter D1, Chance.  CMA questions completed for this chapter.
Recap on Chapter C1, Differentiation.

Other Study
Cambridge University practise Integration questions (Intro to Maths Tripos)
Practise questions on seperation of variables from internet: http://www.intmath.com/differential-equations/2-separation-variables.php

Other Reading
Lectures on Physics Volume 1, Richard Feynman: Chapters 1-7 (light touch review)
Mathematical Analysis David Brannan:  Chapter 1.1 - 1.3

S197
Completion and submission of EMA part A.
Completion of part B question 1.

Audiobooks
The Modern Scholar: Astronomy II, Stars, Galaxies and the Universe
Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman!

A great bit of diversity this week and I am looking forward to blitzing the last 3 books of MST121, before preparing my final coursework for this maths course.  It's then a look forward to the autumn when I am pondering studying a few module books from other OU courses, such as M208 (probably, the Brannan book will suffice); also an early look at MST209 and some external maths stuff from Cambridge University, such as the advised reading lists for their pre- tripos course applicants.

Also, I may be on the cusp of getting my wife's permission, to let me work part-time and take on more study modules!

Busy, Busy, Busy!

1 comment:

  1. wow excellent progress For the rest of M208 you will need a book on group theory and linear algebra One such one (although it's at a much more abstract level than M208) is

    Algebra and Geometry by Beardon

    Glad you found the Cambridge maths site it's a real treasure trove

    ReplyDelete