Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Linear Algebra and Some Musings on Distance Learning

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Linear Algebra and Some Musings on Distance Learning

I am finding the Linear Algebra units for M208, an absolute dream to work through!

They started by treading some old familiar ground with vectors and matrices; before proving a few bits and pieces from those two areas; followed by some work on vector spaces, n-dimensional space and some yummy vector combinations.

I am now 1/3 of the way through, Unit 3 of 5, and it is proving to be the most enjoyable part of M208, so far.

After having a boost of confidence (falsely?), by scoring 100% on TMA01, I have found my work rate has really started to pick up, without much evidence of added fatigue, from day-to-day.

The upshot of this boost, is that I steamed through TMA02 in plenty of time (I await the score, any-day now); and I have also started, in earnest, studying some material from MST209 and also S207.  This has included running through Unit 1 of MST209 (which was surprisingly dull:  O.U, why have you tried to make such interesting topics, such as Calculus, so tedious?); and also I started to read the S207 Unit, Dynamic Fields and Waves, before realising, that I may need to read Static fields and potentials, first.  So, I have been clicking on Amazon at the weekend, and that pre-requisite unit, should arrive tomorrow.

This week has also marked the start of me doing some serious internet and phone research, into the scope of  maths and physics related postgraduate options, that are currently available, or due to be available soon.  I have noticed a theme developing, in that many Universities, including U.C.L, Liverpool and other fine institutions, are now starting to plan or offer taught masters in science or mathematics, via distance learning; or, at the very least, part-time.

It is a sign of the times, I guess, that Universities are finally starting to catch on to the fact, that distance learning provides them with another excellent stream of revenue as mature students are such an untapped group, who are generally able to pay their own fees and who require lower University overheads, to teach.

But the big difference is, that the internet is just so accessible now, compared to even just 5yrs ago; that experiments, tutorials and team collaboration work, can easily be completed on line, (just look at this excellent course offered by the OU:  SXP288 ).

Also, I think the O.U's current strategy is possibly causing their market position to weaken, allowing other Universities to fill the void, by providing affordable, high quality distance learning courses.  When I say their current strategy, I refer to the almost unbelievable decision to increase their fees to ostensibly unaffordable levels.  This has probably ended the vast swathes of learners who have studied with the O.U, for pleasure, over the years.  Will the O.U survive, without these students?  I know myself, that I would probably have never started studying with the O.U, had the fees been set to the new, proposed levels.  It is such a shame.

On a completely different topic; I very much appreciate all of the comments that have been left on my blog, since it began.  They are all read and thought about, very carefully; and I have gained some real help and guidance, as a direct result of them.  So thank you, to those kind soles, who have taken the time to write.

1 comment:

  1. Linear Algebra is great, as for MST209 keep on in there. When you get to unit 3 you will be rewarded by one of the most important mathematical techniques that physicists should learn namely the solution of second order linear differential equations. It's not too much of an exaggeration that these are almost ubquitious in physics. Good luck with the planning best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete