Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Using Mathtype for TMA's

Monday 16 April 2012

Using Mathtype for TMA's

Today, I have had my first proper go at using the mathematics equation software, Mathtype, in producing a TMA.  I am using it to produce TMA03, and I have, so far, completed question 1, worth 10 marks on the subject of Linear Algebra.

I have spent most of the day fiddling around with hot-keys, short-cuts and watching You Tube videos, trying to pick up hints and tips on its use.  Although it has taken most of the day to produce such a small amount of work, I am already 300% faster in using Mathtype now, than I was just 12hrs ago.

I have decided to put myself through the pain of learning a new piece of software, mid-course, for several reasons.

Firstly, the amount and level of study that I am doing over the next 4 months, is relatively low, compared to what is on the horizon.   This is because,  from September and beyond,  I ramp up my self-study in physics and maths, and also my official O.U study, to what will amount to the equivalent of 180 points of level 2 and 3 study, within 18 months.

Also, I want to be up, running and using Mathtype (which is fully integrated with my Microsoft Word 2010), well before I need to produce typed coursework for the first time (October 2014, if I take M820 Calculus of Variations).

You see, all MSc TMA's need to be submitted electronically, and Mathtype is a good piece of software, to get me doing this, well before I need to.

Another reason for wanting to practice typing maths, is that I am finding it very tedious handwriting so called 'final' drafts, which I often repeatedly re-write, costing me hours each month.

Also, my current tutor gives a lot of very valuable feedback on each TMA, regarding formatting, content, presentation and conciseness.  I therefore want to hone my Mathtype use, whilst I still have access to this tutor.  In my 8yrs experience with the O.U, tutors who give excellent feedback, are a rare breed.

And finally, there is another more basic reason for wanting to type my mathematics:

It looks great and feels professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment