Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Linear Algebra: Hard, But Great Fun

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Linear Algebra: Hard, But Great Fun

Well, I am now more than half way through the linear algebra offering from M208, The Open University's general pure mathematics course.  I am about 20 pages into book 4 of 5, and I am starting to now understand how it all fits together, very nicely.

I have always enjoyed matrices and simultaneous equations; but until I studied M208, I never understood that these areas of mathematics were just the tools that are required to study Linear Algebra, which I now regard as the 'science' of manipulating finite subspaces in n-dimensional vector spaces and also mapping transformations between them.  Not forgetting that what we actually seem to be doing (I think), is finding isomorphisms, between subspaces and also between vector spaces.

If you want a very good preci of what Linear Algebra actually is, in about a side of A4; just look on Wikipedia under Linear Algebra.  I particularly like the graphic at the right hand, top of the page.

Anyway, Linear Algebra: good.

Also, I am now just over 50% of the way through TMA03, for M208, which is all being completed on Mathtype and Word 2010.  So, onwards, and upwards.  I am planning to get all of Linear Algebra studying and TMA03, completed before the 7th of May, when I am hoping to take a few days off with the family.

Looking back over the last few years, it seems incredible that I started all of this off with just a GCSE in mathematics, as my highest level of maths study.  As an exercise in morale boosting last week, I glanced back over my unit books from MST121 last year.  I was really surprised to find, that the units appeared relatively simple and very light in content, compared to how I remember them.

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that there was one particular calculus exercise that I didn't understand last year during my study of MST121; but when I looked back at that particular problem last week, I completed it in about 30 seconds, without any need to review the subject matter.  Boy, how things have come on in just one year. Who knows what 2013 will hold?

3 comments:

  1. Excellent. I found some of the stuff in LA3, 4 and 5 quite subtle. When I was going through it for the first time it did all hang together but it was a bit like touching a mist. I hope to come back to it all again in revision and get hold of some of those finer points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi

    Out of interest, what level of GCSE maths did you do ? (foundation/intermediate/higher) and what grade did you get?

    ReplyDelete