Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Study Timetable Dilemma

Friday 6 April 2012

Study Timetable Dilemma

I am currently pondering the possibility of shortening my O.U undergraduate studies, by doubling up on modules in February 2013.

I am currently planning on taking M337 Complex analysis in October 2012, followed by SM359 Electromagnetism in February 2013.  This would give an overlap maximum of 60 points between February and June 2013.  This would then be followed by one or two, Level 3 maths / physics courses, in October 2013.

I would then finish all undergraduate studies and then be due to start MSc studies in Autumn 2014.

That is the conservative plan.

The 'mile-a-minute' slightly nutty plan, would be to start Complex Analysis in October 2012 and then in February 2013 taking both SMT359 Electromagnetism and also SM358 The Quantum World, with all three courses running alongside each other.  I would then have enough points by October 2013, to claim the BSc Hons Open degree with the OU.

This would then allow me to start some Postgraduate studies in October 2013, (or Jan 2014, if taking the O.U MSc Maths), a year ahead of what I had already planned.

The upsides?  Truncation of the study plan, and quicker entry onto Postgraduate studies (none of us are getting any younger!)

The downsides?  I will only then be taking three level 3 maths / physics courses, instead of four; and the monster workload of  90, level 3 points, between February 2013 and June 2013, is a lot.  Not to mention an equivalent level of 90 points of self study and prep work for Electromagnetism and Quantum Mechanics, alongside Complex Analysis, between Oct 2012 and Jan 2013.

I am not sure what to do.  I do worry that studying 90 at the same time, will mean me having no chance of ever gaining a 1st class degree.  It might just be too much work to gain 85% on each level 3 module.

I will ponder this over the summer.

6 comments:

  1. I plan to do M337 October 2012 and then in February 2013 both SMT359 Electromagnetism and also SM358 The Quantum World.

    I have already registered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave man Steve. Have you done 90 points together, before; or will this be first time? I am worried that it may turn into a nightmare slog, just to complete the reading, let alone complete 12 TMA's and 3 exams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would stick to the conservative plan. M337 is certainly no walk in the park and will probably require most of your attention. Also 3 exams is a bit much, Two is doable, but three. I know you are keen to get ahead, but you will be dealing with some mind blowing stuff and as you haven't done MST209 you will find parts of the quantum mechanics and electromagnetism course quite challenging especially the vector calculus. Sorry if that puts a damper on your hopes but it's better to take the time to learn the courses properly. Also there is the financial considerations to take into account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS The calculus of variations course does assume quite a facility with calculus much more than you will have got with MST121 so it's worth doing an intensive mathematical methods course such as MST326 or MS324 which will get you up to speed.

    I guess the thing is to see how you get on with M337 in October if you find it straightforward then your plan might work

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did 120 points last year, and am currently doing MST209 and MS324.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi

    If you want a 1st class degree then don't overstretch yourself with too many modules. Am sure you would rather have a 1st gained over a longer period of time then a 2.1 over a shorter amount of time ?

    I know postgrad/doctorate is your future plans and your degree result & transcripts will matter ! PhD scholarships/funding is so competative. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete