Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Cosmology

Friday 11 February 2011

Cosmology

I have decided to take another science short course, as well as my OU courses.  The course that I have chosen is, Modern Cosomology... with John Moores University in Liverpool.  This is a distance learning course at first year level, and it counts for 12 points, or about 1/5 of a year of full time study.

This course adds nicely to my 'zulu' background reading strategy, for physics et al.  In 2007, I did an OU short course, 'An introduction to Astronomy', a first year 10 pointer, which I absolutely loved.  I had bought myself a 4" Newtonian reflector telescope, and started star gazing.  So this Cosmology course, will carry on that stream of interest.

So, in total, for 2011, I am now studying:

S196 Planets (10 points)
S197 How the Universe Works (10 points)
MST121 Using Mathematics (30 points)
Modern Cosmology (12 points)

This is a total of 62 points at level 1.  Having already started studying on S196, S197 and MST121, I am coping with the workload, no problems at all, so far.  Modern Cosmology starts in May 2011 and runs for 4 months.  This should be okay, as S196 / S197, both run until the assignment is due in April 2011.  This means I should have no overlap of the short courses, with MST121 running in the background from Jan 2011 until Oct 2011.

We shall see if this lasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment