Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: Post Graduate Physics and Maths

Monday 14 February 2011

Post Graduate Physics and Maths

As part of my grand plan to get from GCSE maths to Theoretical physicist; I have, of course, been surfing the internet looking for information about possible post graduate qualifications that are out there, for distance learners.

I very quickly realised that there are some inherent problems with the availability of post grad distance learning courses:

  1. They are very expensive (ranging from approx £1000 - £9000, per year).
  2. Post grad Physics courses for distance learners are very thin on the ground.
  3. Most post grad sites explain that, doing a PhD part-time, by distance learning, is extremely difficult because the length of the studying can be 4 – 8yrs; and maintaining self motivation for this period of time, takes dedication.


However, bearing all of these points in mind, I still believe that it is achievable – particularly as I have made a deal with myself to keep going unless any of the following happen:

  1. I repeatedly fail a course because of a lack of intellectual capability.
  2. I can’t afford the cost of studying with a University.


Interestingly, point 2 shouldn’t be affected too much, by the recent changes in University funding.  As it currently stands, many University’s are able to maintain a certain amount of U.K Government subsidy for Physics courses, because it is a protected subject (I guess they are short of physicists / physics teachers).

Also, with the Government committing to a long term 30yr + plan for the construction of a larger Nuclear power Industry and the need for more renewable power sources, as the price of oil and gas increase; I can see that physicists are going to be a prized commodity, over the next few years, in support of these projects.  Perhaps this will have a positive effect on the amount of distance learning subjects in physics, available to post graduate learners?

In the near future, I will be providing a critical analysis of some of the post-graduate courses that I have researched, in recent months.  I will also be looking at doing a running log on a separate blog page, which will hold details of all the courses, dates, work done etc, which I have completed to date.  This page will be kept updated and a comparison will be provided against the grand plan, as I put together, the finer details.

No comments:

Post a Comment