Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: MST209 Mathematical Methods and Models

Thursday 10 February 2011

MST209 Mathematical Methods and Models

Part of my grand plan, is to push myself to destruction, trying to see how much university maths, I can intellectually cope with.  To this end, I am looking beyond MST121 and considering my next course.  I am pondering which path to take.  I am considering either taking MST209 Mathematical Methods and Models, with the OU; or, S207, The Physical World.  MST209 looks like a course that teaches you what I call advanced maths for science i.e. all of the maths that you need to cope with most second year university level physics courses.

I am hoping that by doing this, it will make the physics course, easier to navigate.

The only fly in the ointment, is that I really fancy studying S207 next.  S207 is a full whistle stop tour of all major areas of university level physics, including quantum theory etc.  Having looked at the course description, I suspect I could cope with it, by just studying MST121, but I would probably have to take MST209, afterwards, If I wanted to go onto all the cool subjects at third year level such as Astrophysics or Quantum mechanics.

So, I will continue to ponder and probably make my decision next month.  MST209 doesn't start until Jan 2012 and S207 starts in October 2011.  Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment